**Driver Improvement Clinic**----Earn 5 Good Points---- In Class -- or -- Online--
Driver education programs are available statewide to students, adults and out-of-school youths. Public and private school programs are approved by the Department of Education. Driver training schools follow the same course content and are licensed by DMV. The program is 36 classroom periods, including components about alcohol safety, drug abuse awareness, aggressive driving, distracted driving, pedestrian and bicycle safety, handicapped parking, fuel-efficient driving practices, motorcycle awareness, and organ and tissue donation awareness.
The course may be taken at a public or private driver training school. The classroom component may also be taken Online through a driver training school.
Virginia Driver Education Approved by the Department of Education. State Approved - Virginia Department of Motor Vehicle Online Driver Education Course.
The program consists of at least 30 hours of instructions and includes components about alcohol safety, drug abuse awareness,
aggressive driving, distracted driving, pedestrian and bicycle safety, handicapped parking, fuel efficient driving practices, motorcycle awareness
and organ and tissue donation awareness as required by law.
You must be at least 15 years and 6 months old to take the online driver education course. All individuals who elect to take the classroom
component of the driver education course online must take the online course through a OMV licensed driver training school.
Homeschooled students are exempt from this requirement.
In order to benefit from the course, you must be able to work independently and be comfortable with using a computer.
• On the day of testing, you must bring the following to the test site:
• Photo identification (DMV issued identification card, school issued identification card, valid passport or military identification)
• Proof of completion of the on line driver education course
• A completed "Parental Consent for Online Driver Education Examination" (DTS 62), if you are under age 1 8
• Proof of completion of the additional 90-minute parent/teen course if you are under age 18 and live in Planning District 8 (counties of Arlington, Fairfax,
Loudoun, and Prince William and cities of Alexandria, Fairfax, Manassas and Manassas Park)
• The online driver training school will provide a computer for testing.
DMV is committed to promoting transportation safety through the certification of quality driver training programs.
If you have comments or concerns about this course, call our toll-free number: 1-877-885-5790.